Software Development Director
This role is a senior technical manager with experience leading multiple, remote software development teams. Responsible for the daily operations, design, development and testing of our main software platform. Performs project management duties, communicating progress, managing requests and priorities. This role requires hands-on involvement designing new features and debugging production issues. This is your opportunity to get in near the beginning to help shape and grow the systems used by the organization and its clients. We have several areas where we need technical vision and know-how to drive functional enhancements, automation and intelligence capabilities, which are crucial to Liberty Rents’ mission and growth. This role reports to the CTO and is a key team member in our Liberty Rent family.
This role will be responsible for our primary system, which supports multi-family apartment applicants, who may not qualify own their own. We provide the tools to analyze the risks and to help them get in. We abide by regulations governing protecting personal data including credit and fair housing aspects. The system collects fees and manages payments to properties. The ecosystem includes Linux/Nginx/Apache cloud-based, mobile-friendly technology and utilizes a number of APIs to other services to provide a robust user experience. The system provides reporting and analytic information to our leadership team and to property management companies that partner with us.
- Lead our local and remote (offshore) software development staff
- Manage our Production, UAT and Training environments from a technical, security and regulatory perspectives — monitor and manage all system availability
- Work with staff across all departments (sales, customer service, accounting, risk analysis, etc.)
- Develop, design, test and implement business functions (requirements, UI, rules, features, releases, plans). We have several major enhancements (CRM, Voice/Mail/Text integrations, AI, etc.) planned.
- Debug and resolve system issues, perform root-cause analysis
- Manage team workloads, track and prioritize tickets
- Support Knowledge Base and Customer Service ticketing system
- Document and standardize processes, User Guides, Job Aids, etc.
- Manage Releases and migration planning, including training our Account Management staff for Train-the-Trainer and our other staff on the new features
- Manage system announcements and communications to staff regarding system outages and new releases
- Evaluate technology options (cost-benefit analysis) and form recommendations
- Develop plans to proactively monitor, minimize disruptions and mitigate risks for operations (disaster recovery), vulnerabilities, and support regulatory compliance which is constantly evolving
- Interface with other technology efforts as we enhance our overall corporate capabilities
- Support CTO on budgetary, staffing, and technology planning efforts
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science (or related Technology degree) (minimum)
- Strong technical leadership skills – leading tech development teams (7 years min.)
- Excellent verbal and written communications (English) – communicate vision and requirements
- Attention to detail, but able to see big picture
- Flexible to manage changing priorities
- Strong Emotional IQ – Leadership with Empathy
- Project Management fundamentals, scheduling, budgeting
- Schedule: 40hr week (M-F, occasional weekend)
- Type: Salaried
- Benefits: Full Medical, Dental, Vision Benefits
- Location: Fairhope, AL
- Sponsor Visa: No